Tuesday 18 March 2014

Small beginings...

Modern technology.


From payment  until receipt of goods only a couple of days, even less if the bank didn't like to cuddle your funds so tenderly.


So starts this little venture to convert dollars to sawdust. This project actually started about a year ago. Like all great home build projects it gets a little spasmodic and as is my want, I tend to reinvent things a little. While waiting for the materials to arrive from the eastern states, I decided the drawings would be a bit light on for displacement for my requirements. As a consequence the project has expanded somewhat from design.

With this in mind I will say here, if it turns from cat to dog it's my fault, not Richards. Failing that, recognition to him as deserved.

20 foot skoota.




Basically I decided I wanted something that moved into a slightly different range of operation.

Semi sheltered coastal waters.
Increased load carrying.
Greater duration at sea.
Similar operational performance.

After numerous incarnations the basic statistics now are as follows-

LOA - 9.00 m.

BOA - 4.15 m.

Draught @ 1600 kg - 0.23 m.

Width folded - 2.65 m.

Displ LWL - 1600 kg.

Displ Light ship - 1100 kg.

Power plant - 60 HP Bigfoot outboard. The bigfoot is the same engine mass whether 40, 50 or 60 HP.

Bridge deck clearance - 0.60 m.

Some of these alterations add a few complications to travelling on the road. The original design bought the boat in under legal road dimensions. The modified design is now 150mm oversize. This means an annual oversize permit and travelling during daylight hours only. Both of these conditions I can live with. 





The high thrust outboards run a larger gear box with a higher reduction gear set. This allows the use of a slower turning propellor with other characteristics beneficial to a slower heaver boat but still capable of working at speeds in the mid teens. (Knots)

As to performance, I expect to pull the throttle back if on an extended trip in the name of fuel economy. On a trip in times past, in glass out conditions, on a 9.1 metre sailing cat we motored for some 20 hours on 25 litres of fuel @ 5.0 knots. This was achieved running a 9.9 HP high thrust four stroke outboard. That's better fuel economy than some cars I've owned. 
If I could come anywhere near that economy at low speed I'd be stoked.

Apologies to Richard Woods for messing with your design.


 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome little boat!
    Where is it now, and where are you?
    Bruce C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce, I'm still in Darwin, just down the track a bit. Not much progress on the boat for a while. I've been away with work and slack as well. More crazy changes to it. Will tell more some time.

      Delete